If you find yourself dreading sleep each night, you might need a pillow top mattress. If lying in bed feels like you re on a piece of wood, you might need a pillow top mattress. If you spend the night tossing and turning only to wake up with countless aches and pains, you probably need a pillow top mattress. Pillow top mattresses are the solution to solving the pains of a regular spring mattress, utilizing multiple layers of foam and pillow cushioning to give you that unmatched level of comfort needed to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- The Best Pillow Top Mattresses
- Pillowtop Mattress Buying Guide
- Best Pillow-Top Mattresses Review
The Best Pillow Top Mattresses
Pillow top mattresses provide extra padding and a soft feel to the top of the mattress, without compromising the support of the lower layers, giving you the best of both worlds. For the ultimate in mattress comfort and luxury, look no further than these pillow top range.
|Relyon Philip Luxury Pillow Top 1500 Mattress||This luxurious mattress comes with 1500 individually pocketed springs which responds to your body shape and offers support where you need it most. more info|
|Saturn 4500 Pillow Top Mattress||This mattress is ideal for all types of sleepers who need pressure relief or back sleepers who enjoy an overall softer level of comfort. more info|
|Signature Pillowtop Mattress||The pocket springs of the mattress work independently to ensure, that the full body is supported evenly from head to toe. more info|
|Emerald 3000 Pillow-Top Mattress||Available in two sizes, this comfy mattress features a pocket spring system; ideal for side and back sleepers. more info|
|Excelsior Pillow Top 3000 Mattress||Enjoy a good night’s sleep with this Excelsior pillow top mattress that is ideal for side-sleepers who need pressure relief. more info|
|Gold 6000 Pillow Top Recharge Mattress||Four layers of foam combined with individually pocketed springs are designed to offer a blissful and comfortable sleep. more info|
|Windsor 3000 Pillow Top Mattress||This mattress has a pillow top layer for extra comfort and featuers pocket springs that aim to support the body evenly from head to toe. more info|
|3000 Pure Soothe with Cloud-Like Pillow Top||Great for side and back sleepers, this mattress features medium soft tension and strong side support with 5cm of reflex foam for durability more info|
|Bedmaster Signature Pillow Top 2000 Mattress||A luxurious handmade pillow topped mattress with genuine hand side stitching, 2000 pocket springs and a luxury blend of silk and lambs wool for exceptional comfort. more info|
|Mary Luxury Pillow Top 2000 Mattress||A luxurious handmade pillow topped mattress, The Mary features genuine hand side stitching with 2000 pocket springs and a luxury blend of silk and lambs wool for exceptional comfort. more info|
Pillowtop Mattress Buying Guide
From the traditional Bonnell innerspring, the industry has evolved tremendously to embrace comfort and relief from sleep issues. The pillow top (and euro top) represents the pinnacle of choice for many buyers on a budget. As you research this type further throughout this article, you’ll find a refreshing degree of specialization, materials and styles to choose from.
1. What is pillow top mattress
Pillow-top mattresses have an additional upholstery layer sewn onto the top of the mattress, as if pillows were placed on top of it.
It essentially offers a way to add an extra comfort layer to a mattress. You’ll find a broad range of styles from which to choose, and quite often you’ll find that these additional topmost layers can be of any material ranging from fiber, memory foam, to latex.
You’ll also notice that these types vary in features to allow for customization, for example, some layers can be removed and replaced with another layer if required. This is particularly handy if the supplied top layer is not to the firmness level you desire, or, perhaps after some years there are signs of sagging and simply the top can be replaced as opposed to changing the whole unit.
2. Benefits of the Pillow Top Mattress
The pillow top mattress is perhaps the pinnacle of innerspring refinement. The pillow top mattress takes advantage of the tried and true innerspring design but improves its comfort through the addition of a comfortable padded layer.
The pillow top provides a comfortable layer between the innerspring core and the sleeper. This allows the springs to provide support while the plush top provides a comfortable sleeping experience.
- Less Pain
Experts agree that a firm mattress is actually not the answer for back pain and that a softer mattress may work better.Pillow-top mattresses have an extra layer of padding between the sleeper and the mattress springs, making it possible for even firm mattresses to feel more soft and comfortable. This is especially true for side or back sleepers.
- Not to Flip
A quality pillow top disperses a sleeper’s weight, which helps to prevent ruts from forming in the mattress core. This eliminates the need for mattress rotation or flipping.
3. Which pillow top mattress is best?
The best mattress is one suited to your body s needs, and only you can determine that. Even the best mattress reviews and clinical studies will tell you how personalized mattress comfort is. If you have back or neck pain, you might prefer a healthy medium between firm and soft. However, do your own primary research to find your optimal firmness level. Ask a doctor if necessary.
And not all pillow top mattresses are made from the same material and those made from cheaper foam make the mattresses sink faster. Pillow top mattresses’ top layers have to be made from high quality memory foam or latex for it to last longer. Double sided pillow top mattresses also last longer since the mattress can be turned over. One sided mattresses need to have quality material for it to last.
4. How do you choose a good pillow top mattress?
Most of the good and popular brands sell these type of mattresses. Some of them are Sealy Posturepedic, Serta Perfect Sleeper, Simmons Beautyrest Recharge, Restonic Comfort care etc. Most of the mattress makers rename the same type of mattress for different companies with very little variations. Most of the mattresses may have similar features under different brand names. So customers are recommended to go through user reviews and warranty terms to choose the right mattress to suit their needs.
5. What to look for when buying a pillow top mattress
Pillow top mattresses offer many sleepers the perfect amount of firm support and soft body contouring. As you examine these mattresses, keep in mind the following attributes.
A pillow top bed contains an added layer of cushioning foam atop a traditional spring mattress. The density of the foam contributes to the mattress s level of firmness, allowing even a pillow top to become quite firm. At the same time, the key selling point of a pillow top is how soft it can become. A soft top layer effectively alleviates pressure points and relieves the causes of pain that most often awake you from sleep.
There’s more to a mattress than springs. A quality pillow top mattress has high-grade memory foam that’s odorless, layered for comfort and durable enough to go decades without losing its shape. The best mattresses also have springs or spring alternatives that isolate movement and hold their form long after the warranty expires. The mattress frame and surrounding tacking should also be high quality as well as pleasing to the eye.
Most people change positions while in bed at night, and a bed that proves too small will keep you from moving freely in your sleep. A king size pillow top mattress obviously offers the most room to stretch out, but since it also costs the most, other sizes are also smart considerations.
Some manufacturers offer 10 years whilst others provide a whopping 25 years. Generally the (long) length isn’t too important because it’s highly unlikely that you’ll be owning for more than 10 years. However anything less than 10 years may be worth avoiding.
These are generally quite low in price in comparison to other types. If you opt for a temporary alternative such as a mattress topper, the price will be less expensive than a pillow top mattress, of course depending upon the quality of each one.However, there are disadvantages of a topper which would sway people towards the better quality and longer lasting mattress instead. In either case, a mattress is an important purchase, so you should consider your purchase an investment in your quality of sleep.
Best Pillow-Top Mattresses Review
- 1500 pocket springs
- Deep quilted
- Belgium damask fabric
- Easy care non turn
- Anti allergy
- Medium tension
- Hand Tufted
- 4 Rows side stitching
- Air vents
- Made in the UK
- 8 Year guarantee
- National Bed Federation (NBF) approved
Sleep away aches and pains with the Philip mattress featuring a superb, high quality pocket sprung mattress with luxurious natural Silk fillings and a Pillowtop layer. This luxurious mattress comes with 1500 individually pocketed springs which responds to your body shape and offers support where you need it most. For exceptional comfort, this mattress includes a super soft hypo allergenic reflex foam Pillowtop layer. (Read customer reviews)
- Pocket sprung, pillow top mattress
- Medium to firm support
- 10-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Standard UK double and king size
- High-quality fabric
This mattress is ideal for all types of sleepers who need pressure relief or back sleepers who enjoy an overall softer level of comfort. (Read customer reviews)
- Filling: natural lambswool and luxury silk
- High-count pocket springs
- Cotton fabric, hand tufted with wool
- Mattress tension: medium support
- Kept fresh and dry thanks to air vents placed on the sides
- Flag-stitched handles
The pocket springs of the mattress work independently to ensure, that the full body is supported evenly from head to toe. (Read customer reviews)
- Mattress with a pillow top
- Features a pocket spring system
- Ideal for side sleepers who need pressure relief
- Suitable for back sleepers who enjoy an overall softer level of comfort
- Thickness: 36cm
- Manufacturer’s 10-year guarantee
Available in two sizes, this comfy mattress features a pocket spring system; ideal for side and back sleepers. (Read customer reviews)
- Innovative Woolex fabric mattress
- Woolex fabric is a combination of the Memory wool and Air Flow filling
- Mattress tension: soft-medium support
- High count pocket spring system
- Pillow top layer for extra comfort
- Air vents aim to keep the mattress fresh and dry
- Flag-stitched handles
- Fire-retardant mattress
- Complies with British standards (BS 7177:2008)
This mattress has a pillow top layer for extra comfort and featuers pocket springs that aim to support the body evenly from head to toe. (Read customer reviews)
1. Pros and Cons of Pillow-Top Mattresses
Pillow top mattress is an improvement on the traditional innerspring mattress which has been in use for many years. This mattress type add comfort to the innerspring mattress by providing an additional padded layer on top of the mattress. But like all products, pillow top mattresses too have their pros and cons.
- The mattresses are quite comfortable and have a soft feel. The extra padding gives more comfort to the person using the mattress. Back and side sleepers are said to benefit more from this mattress.
- Good support is another positive point in favor of pillow top mattresses
- A number of users were satisfied with the affordability of the mattress. This is especially true since memory foam mattresses are quite expensive and many customers were able to get the same comfort with the pillow top mattress.
- Many customers were satisfied with the quality of the mattress and its sturdiness
- Pillow-top mattresses are often more expensive than basic innerspring mattresses.
- Because they’re thicker than traditional mattresses, you will need to find fitted sheets with deeper pockets to fit properly on a pillow-top mattress. You could need sheets with pockets as deep as 25 inches to accommodate the mattress.
- Pillow top mattresses can’t be flipped unless you choose one that has the pillow top quilted onto both sides — an option that may cost more.
- Pillow top cushioning can be made from a variety of materials like memory foam, latex, wool, feathers or cotton. Natural materials and high density natural latex are best pillow top choices. Quilting depths can also vary.
- To save costs, you can go for a pillow top mattress pad. You need not replace the entire mattress to get the comfort of the pillow top cushioning. However, mattress pads work best when supported by a firm supportive mattress in reasonably good condition.
- Invest in a pillow top mattress for a cosy and luxurious sleeping experience.
Read more: Best Pillow Top Mattresses Recommended