If you find yourself dreading sleep each night, you might need a pillow top mattress. If lying in bed feels like you re on a piece of wood, you might need a pillow top mattress. If you spend the night tossing and turning only to wake up with countless aches and pains, you probably need a pillow top mattress. Pillow top mattresses are the solution to solving the pains of a regular spring mattress, utilizing multiple layers of foam and pillow cushioning to give you that unmatched level of comfort needed to fall asleep and stay asleep.
10 Best Pillow Top Mattresses UK 2021
Pillow top mattresses provide extra padding and a soft feel to the top of the mattress, without compromising the support of the lower layers, giving you the best of both worlds. For the ultimate in mattress comfort and luxury, look no further than these pillow top range.
- Rest Assured Rufford 2000 Pocket Memory Pillow Top Mattress (Up to 30% off at Mattress Online)
- Relyon Natural Luxury Supreme 2150 Pillow Top Mattress (from £494.95 at MattressNextDay)
- Gold 6000 Pillow Top Recharge Mattress (Up to 51% Off at Groupon)
- Rest Assured Knowlton 2000 Pocket Latex Pillow Top Mattress (from £389.95 at MattressOnline)
- Sealy Activsleep Geltex Pocket Pillow Top 2200 Mattress (Up to 25% off at Mattress Online)
- Hypnos Premier Luxury Pillow Top Pocket Sprung Mattress (from £857.65 at Mattressman)
- Pocket 3000 Spring Organic Pillow Top Mattress (From £89 at LivingSocial)
- Signature 2000 Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Natural Fillings Mattress (from £244.99 at Happy Beds)
- Rest Assured Knowlton Pocket Sprung Mattress (Save up to £68.85 at Mattressman)
- Relyon Luxury Silk 2850 Pillow Top Mattress (from £629.95 at Mattress Next Day)
Top 10 Pillow Top Mattresses Reviews
1. Rest Assured Rufford 2000 Pocket Memory Pillow Top Mattress
- Free Next Day Delivery
- Type: Memory Foam (2.5cm) | Pocket Sprung (2000)
- Firmness: Medium to Firm
- Depth: 30cm
- Guarantee: 5 Years
The springs have also been arranged to provide greater support to key areas such as the back, joints and hips for a sleep that will truly leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Paired with the pressure-relieving qualities of memory foam, this mattress is truly beneficial for your health and overall wellbeing.
Great news for allergy sufferers – the materials used are all hypoallergenic, guarding against dust mites and other allergens to keep your mattress clean and fresh.
The Rufford 2000 Pocket Memory Pillow Top Mattress from Rest Assured is a wonderfully supportive mattress, approved by the Good Housekeeping Institute in 2018.
2. Relyon Natural Luxury Supreme 2150 Pillow Top Mattress
This premium quality mattress packs in 2150 individually pocketed springs on the King Size model, along with a Pillow Top design made from layers of soft, pure wool and luxurious silk for the ultimate in snugglability! The medium firmness rating delivers comfort and support in equal measure, and this single-sided mattress doesn’t need to be flipped, making it easier to maintain.
Relyon has been making quality mattresses for decades and has a reputation for using premium materials. The Natural Luxury Supreme 2150 Pillow Top mattress is no exception, incorporating pure wool and luxurious silk layers for a better, more comfortable night’s sleep. The mattress is approved by the BMF, and comes with an 8-year guarantee.
The Relyon Natural Luxury Supreme 2150 Pillow Top mattress is a single-sided mattress, so there’s no need to flip and turn. However, to prolong the life of your mattress we do suggest that it should be rotated head-to-toe regularly, and to make this easier the Natural Luxury Supreme has strong turning handles attached to the sides.
3. Gold 6000 Pillow Top Mattress
- Total depth: 33cm
- 2.5cm of Cool Blue Advance Airflow memory foam increases comfort and air circulation
- 2.5cm of dual-layer comfort foam promotes energy recovery and pressure relief
- 5cm layer of V32 Smart white support foam
- Designed to maintain an ideal sleeping temperature in all seasons
- High count of individually pocketed springs
- 750G Microbond for additional support and longevity
- Deep quilted pillow top design, precision stitching to keep filings in place
- Knitted fabric outer cover
- Three rows of side stitching and firm edge support ensure the mattress keeps its shape
- Flag-stitched transport handles
Featuring four layers of foam combined with individually pocketed springs, this mattress is designed to provide comfortable sleep
4. Rest Assured Knowlton 2000 Pocket Latex Pillow Top Mattress
Paired with a support system of 2000 pocket springs, this mattress absorbs movement and minimises partner disturbance. A great choice for couples!
The springs move independently and are also carefully zoned to relieve pressure to key areas of the body. This means the springs have been carefully arranged to support your back, hips and joints to benefit overall wellbeing.
Rest Assured is a reliable, premium mattress brand with over 100 years of experience, based in Lancashire, the heart of the British countryside. Enjoy the security of their 5 Year Guarantee, so you can buy in complete confidence.
The Rest Assured Knowlton 2000 Pocket Latex Pillow Top Mattress – recognised by the Good Housekeeping Institute in 2018. A cosy, responsive mattress which delivers personalised comfort for your best sleep ever.
5. Sealy Activsleep Geltex Pocket 2200 Pillowtop Mattress
- Free Next Day Delivery
- Type: Geltex (4cm) | Pillow Top
- Firmness: Medium
- Depth: 32cm
- Guarantee: 5 Years
Sleeping well is the key to living well – the Sealy Activsleep Geltex Pocket Pillow Top 2200 Mattress helps you to achieve both!
Part of Sealy’s Activsleep range, this beautifully crafted mattress is packed full of wonderfully luxurious fillings to help you drift off into a peaceful sleep.
A generous 2200 pocket spring are nestled underneath the luxury Geltex pillow top comfort. Made up of 1400 traditional pocket springs and 800 mini pocket springs, you’ll get completely tailor-made support. Each pocket spring works independently from the other, for personalised comfort for your unique shape and movements.
Enjoy a sneeze-free sleep! Whether you suffer from allergies or you’re simply looking for a healthier sleep, this hypoallergenic mattress caters for all needs. The cover is infused with Purotex probiotics which help fight against dust mites and bacteria. It’s Allergy UK-approved for your complete peace of mind.
6. Hypnos Premier Luxury Pillow Top Pocket Sprung Mattress
If you’re a fan of softer mattresses, then you will like to hear about the Premier Luxury Pillow Top from Hypnos. Featuring both pocket springs and a pillow top layer, it goes even further to provide soft, luxurious layers of silk and British wool. This mattress is easy care due to being one-sided, and the longevity of it is increased due to the two rows of genuine hand side-stitching.
Using their very own double-tempered ReActive™ springs that have eight active turns, Hypnos’ 1400 springs sense your shape and weight distribution to provide body support and promotes natural healthy spine alignment.
The Premier Luxury is a mattress with a pillow top surface, which looks like it’s separate to the mattress but in actual fact is comfortably attached with a hidden return. Sleeping on this mattress is compared to the feeling of sleeping on one giant cloud-like pillow. If you’re apprehensive about the idea of the pillow top, do not worry as it comes with a ten year guarantee to give you some peace of mind.
7. Organic 3000 Orthopaedic Pocket Spring Pillow Top Mattress
- Bed furnishings: Sleep easy with an orthopaedic pillow top mattress!
- Pocketed springs: 3000 pocketed springs provide maximum comfort.
- Six sizes: Small single, single, small double, double, king or super king.
- Extra thickness: 10-11 inches thick to provide you with complete comfort.
- Filling: Filled with a blend wool, wadded, silk and cashmere.
- Six month guarantee: Pillow top is sewn onto the sides of the mattress underneath to increase the durability
8. Signature 2000 Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Mattress
A perfect mattress for a comfortable night’s sleep, the Signature Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Natural Fillings Mattress is an utterly luxurious choice that’s thickly filled with natural materials and finished with ample padding. The Signature Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Natural Fillings Mattress is easily one of Happy Beds’ finest mattresses as well as one of the best on the market as a whole, making it a superb option for any sleeper looking to sleep in blissful comfort.
The interior of the Signature Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Natural Fillings Mattress is a richly filled natural filling mattress, containing all manners of opulent and natural materials such as silk, cashmere and wool. All the more enriching, and a key feature of the mattress, is the padded pillow top that makes the Signature Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Natural Fillings Mattress an incredibly comfortable pillow top mattress.
Containing a wealth of individually nested pocket springs, the Signature Pocket Sprung Pillow Top Natural Fillings Mattress is designed as an impressively crafted pocket sprung mattress, the likes of which can accommodate separate sleepers with their own isolated sleeping spaces. The massive pocket spring count means that any restless movements will be kept to the offending aside of the bed, ensuring both sleepers will be able to rest undisturbed.
9. Rest Assured Knowlton 2000 Pocket Latex Pillow Top Mattress
With over 90 years experience in consumer advice, Good Housekeeping magazine is the most trusted in the world. In 2019, Rest Assured’s pocket sprung mattresses were awarded the GHI logo, a truly independent sign of a product’s ability to deliver on its promises. Mattressman, your favourite online retailer, is now proud to offer these highly recommended, top-quality products.
The Knowlton is a handmade pillow-top mattress containing latex; the premium latex provides unbeatable comfort. An impressive 2000 pocket springs are nestled inside the mattress for outstanding body-moulding support. The naturally clean sleeping surface is made of yarn and eliminates mould and dust mites without chemicals whilst encouraging easy movement. The Knowlton is also available as a divan set with colour and storage options.
10. Relyon Luxury Silk 2850 Pillow Top Mattress
Fall into the most relaxing night sleep you’ll ever experience with the Relyon Luxury Silk 2850 Pillow Top Mattress; it is sure to revolutionise the way you sleep.
The deep, soft layers of the mattress provide support as well as indescribable comfort. Sink into the lush cotton layer, while the pocket springs mould to the contours of your body; the springs give your body the necessary support it needs so that you wake up refreshed instead of aching. It has a combined spring count of 2850 pocket springs in varying sizes which are dispersed throughout the mattress, meaning that your weight is evenly distributed as you sleep.
Cashmere and silk only enhance the plush texture of this deluxe mattress. They are seamlessly blended into an insulation layer, providing durable support that feels high end.
Is it time you gave your mattress a luxury upgrade? The Relyon mattress truly is the most comfortable in the Natural collection.
My Amazon Picks
Pillowtop Mattress Buying Guide
From the traditional Bonnell innerspring, the industry has evolved tremendously to embrace comfort and relief from sleep issues. The pillow top (and euro top) represents the pinnacle of choice for many buyers on a budget. As you research this type further throughout this article, you’ll find a refreshing degree of specialization, materials and styles to choose from.
1. What is pillow top mattress
Pillow-top mattresses have an additional upholstery layer sewn onto the top of the mattress, as if pillows were placed on top of it.
It essentially offers a way to add an extra comfort layer to a mattress. You’ll find a broad range of styles from which to choose, and quite often you’ll find that these additional topmost layers can be of any material ranging from fiber, memory foam, to latex.
You’ll also notice that these types vary in features to allow for customization, for example, some layers can be removed and replaced with another layer if required. This is particularly handy if the supplied top layer is not to the firmness level you desire, or, perhaps after some years there are signs of sagging and simply the top can be replaced as opposed to changing the whole unit.
2. Benefits of the Pillow Top Mattress
The pillow top mattress is perhaps the pinnacle of innerspring refinement. The pillow top mattress takes advantage of the tried and true innerspring design but improves its comfort through the addition of a comfortable padded layer.
The pillow top provides a comfortable layer between the innerspring core and the sleeper. This allows the springs to provide support while the plush top provides a comfortable sleeping experience.
- Less Pain
Experts agree that a firm mattress is actually not the answer for back pain and that a softer mattress may work better.Pillow-top mattresses have an extra layer of padding between the sleeper and the mattress springs, making it possible for even firm mattresses to feel more soft and comfortable. This is especially true for side or back sleepers.
- Not to Flip
A quality pillow top disperses a sleeper’s weight, which helps to prevent ruts from forming in the mattress core. This eliminates the need for mattress rotation or flipping.
3. Pros and Cons of Pillow-Top Mattresses
Pillow top mattress is an improvement on the traditional innerspring mattress which has been in use for many years. This mattress type add comfort to the innerspring mattress by providing an additional padded layer on top of the mattress. But like all products, pillow top mattresses too have their pros and cons.
- The mattresses are quite comfortable and have a soft feel. The extra padding gives more comfort to the person using the mattress. Back and side sleepers are said to benefit more from this mattress.
- Good support is another positive point in favor of pillow top mattresses
- A number of users were satisfied with the affordability of the mattress. This is especially true since memory foam mattresses are quite expensive and many customers were able to get the same comfort with the pillow top mattress.
- Many customers were satisfied with the quality of the mattress and its sturdiness
- Pillow-top mattresses are often more expensive than basic innerspring mattresses.
- Because they’re thicker than traditional mattresses, you will need to find fitted sheets with deeper pockets to fit properly on a pillow-top mattress. You could need sheets with pockets as deep as 25 inches to accommodate the mattress.
- Pillow top mattresses can’t be flipped unless you choose one that has the pillow top quilted onto both sides — an option that may cost more.
- Pillow top cushioning can be made from a variety of materials like memory foam, latex, wool, feathers or cotton. Natural materials and high density natural latex are best pillow top choices. Quilting depths can also vary.
- To save costs, you can go for a pillow top mattress pad. You need not replace the entire mattress to get the comfort of the pillow top cushioning. However, mattress pads work best when supported by a firm supportive mattress in reasonably good condition.
- Invest in a pillow top mattress for a cosy and luxurious sleeping experience.
4. Which pillow top mattress is best?
The best mattress is one suited to your body s needs, and only you can determine that. Even the best mattress reviews and clinical studies will tell you how personalized mattress comfort is. If you have back or neck pain, you might prefer a healthy medium between firm and soft. However, do your own primary research to find your optimal firmness level. Ask a doctor if necessary.
And not all pillow top mattresses are made from the same material and those made from cheaper foam make the mattresses sink faster. Pillow top mattresses’ top layers have to be made from high quality memory foam or latex for it to last longer. Double sided pillow top mattresses also last longer since the mattress can be turned over. One sided mattresses need to have quality material for it to last.
5. How do you choose a good pillow top mattress?
Most of the good and popular brands sell these type of mattresses. Some of them are Sealy Posturepedic, Serta Perfect Sleeper, Simmons Beautyrest Recharge, Restonic Comfort care etc. Most of the mattress makers rename the same type of mattress for different companies with very little variations. Most of the mattresses may have similar features under different brand names. So customers are recommended to go through user reviews and warranty terms to choose the right mattress to suit their needs.
6. What to look for when buying a pillow top mattress
Pillow top mattresses offer many sleepers the perfect amount of firm support and soft body contouring. As you examine these mattresses, keep in mind the following attributes.
A pillow top bed contains an added layer of cushioning foam atop a traditional spring mattress. The density of the foam contributes to the mattress s level of firmness, allowing even a pillow top to become quite firm. At the same time, the key selling point of a pillow top is how soft it can become. A soft top layer effectively alleviates pressure points and relieves the causes of pain that most often awake you from sleep.
There’s more to a mattress than springs. A quality pillow top mattress has high-grade memory foam that’s odorless, layered for comfort and durable enough to go decades without losing its shape. The best mattresses also have springs or spring alternatives that isolate movement and hold their form long after the warranty expires. The mattress frame and surrounding tacking should also be high quality as well as pleasing to the eye.
Most people change positions while in bed at night, and a bed that proves too small will keep you from moving freely in your sleep. A king size pillow top mattress obviously offers the most room to stretch out, but since it also costs the most, other sizes are also smart considerations.
Some manufacturers offer 10 years whilst others provide a whopping 25 years. Generally the (long) length isn’t too important because it’s highly unlikely that you’ll be owning for more than 10 years. However anything less than 10 years may be worth avoiding.
These are generally quite low in price in comparison to other types. If you opt for a temporary alternative such as a mattress topper, the price will be less expensive than a pillow top mattress, of course depending upon the quality of each one.However, there are disadvantages of a topper which would sway people towards the better quality and longer lasting mattress instead. In either case, a mattress is an important purchase, so you should consider your purchase an investment in your quality of sleep.