If you find yourself dreading sleep each night, you might need a pillow top mattress. If lying in bed feels like you re on a piece of wood, you might need a pillow top mattress. If you spend the night tossing and turning only to wake up with countless aches and pains, you probably need a pillow top mattress. Pillow top mattresses are the solution to solving the pains of a regular spring mattress, utilizing multiple layers of foam and pillow cushioning to give you that unmatched level of comfort needed to fall asleep and stay asleep.
The Best Pillow Top Mattresses
Pillow top mattresses provide extra padding and a soft feel to the top of the mattress, without compromising the support of the lower layers, giving you the best of both worlds. For the ultimate in mattress comfort and luxury, look no further than these pillow top range.
Pillow top mattress for sale
|Platinum 6000 Series Pillow Top Mattress||£229 instead of £1880 (from The Furniture Department) for a double Platinum 6000 Series mattress, £239 for a king - save up to 88%. More info|
|3000 Pocket-Spring 12" Pillowtop Mattress||From £89 instead of £680 (from Dining Tables) for a 3000 pocket spring pillow top mattress - choose from six sizes and save up to 81%. More info|
|Sapphire 3000 Pocket Quilted Mattress||£109 instead of £679.01 (from Dining Tables) for a sapphire 3000 pocket quilted top ortho mattress - choose between six sizes and save up to 84%. More info|
|1500 Pocket Spring Pillow Top Memory Mattress||From £69 instead of £299.99 (from Dining Tables) for a small single mattress - save up to 77% + DELIVERY IS INCLUDED!. More info|
|Saturn 4500 Pillow-Top Pocket Sprung Mattress||From £229 instead of £1780 (from The Furniture Department) for a Saturn 4500 pillow-top mattress - choose from two sizes and save up to 87%. More info|
|Pillow Top 3000 Divan Bed with Mattress & Drawer Options||From £109 instead of £369.01 (from Komfet) for a Pillow Top 3000 divan bed and mattress - choose from six sizes and save up to 70%. More info|
Pillowtop Mattress Buying Guide
From the traditional Bonnell innerspring, the industry has evolved tremendously to embrace comfort and relief from sleep issues. The pillow top (and euro top) represents the pinnacle of choice for many buyers on a budget. As you research this type further throughout this article, you’ll find a refreshing degree of specialization, materials and styles to choose from.
1. What is pillow top mattress
Pillow-top mattresses have an additional upholstery layer sewn onto the top of the mattress, as if pillows were placed on top of it.
It essentially offers a way to add an extra comfort layer to a mattress. You’ll find a broad range of styles from which to choose, and quite often you’ll find that these additional topmost layers can be of any material ranging from fiber, memory foam, to latex.
You’ll also notice that these types vary in features to allow for customization, for example, some layers can be removed and replaced with another layer if required. This is particularly handy if the supplied top layer is not to the firmness level you desire, or, perhaps after some years there are signs of sagging and simply the top can be replaced as opposed to changing the whole unit.
2. Pillow top mattress good or bad ?
The pillow top mattress is perhaps the pinnacle of innerspring refinement. The pillow top mattress takes advantage of the tried and true innerspring design but improves its comfort through the addition of a comfortable padded layer.
Pillow top mattress benefits:
The pillow top provides a comfortable layer between the innerspring core and the sleeper. This allows the springs to provide support while the plush top provides a comfortable sleeping experience.
- Less Pain
Experts agree that a firm mattress is actually not the answer for back pain and that a softer mattress may work better.Pillow-top mattresses have an extra layer of padding between the sleeper and the mattress springs, making it possible for even firm mattresses to feel more soft and comfortable. This is especially true for side or back sleepers.
- Not to Flip
A quality pillow top disperses a sleeper’s weight, which helps to prevent ruts from forming in the mattress core. This eliminates the need for mattress rotation or flipping.
3. Which pillow top mattress is best?
The best mattress is one suited to your body s needs, and only you can determine that. Even the best mattress reviews and clinical studies will tell you how personalized mattress comfort is. If you have back or neck pain, you might prefer a healthy medium between firm and soft. However, do your own primary research to find your optimal firmness level. Ask a doctor if necessary.
And not all pillow top mattresses are made from the same material and those made from cheaper foam make the mattresses sink faster. Pillow top mattresses’ top layers have to be made from high quality memory foam or latex for it to last longer. Double sided pillow top mattresses also last longer since the mattress can be turned over. One sided mattresses need to have quality material for it to last.
4. How do you choose a good pillow top mattress?
Most of the good and popular brands sell these type of mattresses. Some of them are Sealy Posturepedic, Serta Perfect Sleeper, Simmons Beautyrest Recharge, Restonic Comfort care etc. Most of the mattress makers rename the same type of mattress for different companies with very little variations. Most of the mattresses may have similar features under different brand names. So customers are recommended to go through user reviews and warranty terms to choose the right mattress to suit their needs.
5. What to look for when buying a pillow top mattress
Pillow top mattresses offer many sleepers the perfect amount of firm support and soft body contouring. As you examine these mattresses, keep in mind the following attributes.
A pillow top bed contains an added layer of cushioning foam atop a traditional spring mattress. The density of the foam contributes to the mattress s level of firmness, allowing even a pillow top to become quite firm. At the same time, the key selling point of a pillow top is how soft it can become. A soft top layer effectively alleviates pressure points and relieves the causes of pain that most often awake you from sleep.
There’s more to a mattress than springs. A quality pillow top mattress has high-grade memory foam that’s odorless, layered for comfort and durable enough to go decades without losing its shape. The best mattresses also have springs or spring alternatives that isolate movement and hold their form long after the warranty expires. The mattress frame and surrounding tacking should also be high quality as well as pleasing to the eye.
Most people change positions while in bed at night, and a bed that proves too small will keep you from moving freely in your sleep. A king size pillow top mattress obviously offers the most room to stretch out, but since it also costs the most, other sizes are also smart considerations.
Some manufacturers offer 10 years whilst others provide a whopping 25 years. Generally the (long) length isn’t too important because it’s highly unlikely that you’ll be owning for more than 10 years. However anything less than 10 years may be worth avoiding.
These are generally quite low in price in comparison to other types. If you opt for a temporary alternative such as a mattress topper, the price will be less expensive than a pillow top mattress, of course depending upon the quality of each one.However, there are disadvantages of a topper which would sway people towards the better quality and longer lasting mattress instead. In either case, a mattress is an important purchase, so you should consider your purchase an investment in your quality of sleep.
Best Pillow Top Mattress Reviews
- Get a 32cm Saturn 4500 mattress.
- With a pocket spring filling for extra comfort.
- And a hand-stitched pillow top.
- Available in double or king sizes.
- A luxurious addition to your bedroom!
- Get a 3000 pocket spring pillow top mattress.
- 12 inches thick with wool, wadded, silk and cashmere fillings.
- 3000-pocket springs to support your full body weight.
- Firm support orthopedic mattress.
- Hand-stitched border, turning handles, hypoallergenic, dust-mite resistant.
- Choose between six sizes!
This mattress is ideal for all types of sleepers who need pressure relief or back sleepers who enjoy an overall softer level of comfort. (Read customer reviews)
- Get a pocket spring memory foam mattress.
- 1500 individual pocketed springs with a memory foam top layer.
- Available in six sizes – small single, single, small double, double, king or super king.
- Provides full-body support and contours to your body’s shape while you sleep.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
- Deal bonus delivery is included.
The pocket springs of the mattress work independently to ensure, that the full body is supported evenly from head to toe. (Read customer reviews)
- Get a sapphire 3000 pocket quilted top ortho mattress.
- With 3000 individual pocketed springs.
- And an approximate 13in-thickness.
- Featured hand stitched border and turning handles.
- Comes in six sizes from small single to super king.
- Dust mite resistant and hypo-allergenic for healthy and comfy nights all at the same time.
Available in two sizes, this comfy mattress features a pocket spring system; ideal for side and back sleepers. (Read customer reviews)
- Get a Platinum 6000 Series pillow top mattress.
- Choice of double and king sizes.
- With a thickness of 36cm and medium-firm support.
- The cover is made of a soft knitted fabric and it’s filled with a pocket spring system.
- Designed with a 3D pillow top border.
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee.
This mattress has a pillow top layer for extra comfort and featuers pocket springs that aim to support the body evenly from head to toe. (Read customer reviews)
1. Pillow Top Mattress Pros and Cons
Pillow top mattress is an improvement on the traditional innerspring mattress which has been in use for many years. This mattress type add comfort to the innerspring mattress by providing an additional padded layer on top of the mattress. But like all products, pillow top mattresses too have their pros and cons.
- The mattresses are quite comfortable and have a soft feel. The extra padding gives more comfort to the person using the mattress. Back and side sleepers are said to benefit more from this mattress.
- Good support is another positive point in favor of pillow top mattresses
- A number of users were satisfied with the affordability of the mattress. This is especially true since memory foam mattresses are quite expensive and many customers were able to get the same comfort with the pillow top mattress.
- Many customers were satisfied with the quality of the mattress and its sturdiness
- Pillow-top mattresses are often more expensive than basic innerspring mattresses.
- Because they’re thicker than traditional mattresses, you will need to find fitted sheets with deeper pockets to fit properly on a pillow-top mattress. You could need sheets with pockets as deep as 25 inches to accommodate the mattress.
- Pillow top mattresses can’t be flipped unless you choose one that has the pillow top quilted onto both sides — an option that may cost more.
- Pillow top cushioning can be made from a variety of materials like memory foam, latex, wool, feathers or cotton. Natural materials and high density natural latex are best pillow top choices. Quilting depths can also vary.
- To save costs, you can go for a pillow top mattress pad. You need not replace the entire mattress to get the comfort of the pillow top cushioning. However, mattress pads work best when supported by a firm supportive mattress in reasonably good condition.
- Invest in a pillow top mattress for a cosy and luxurious sleeping experience.
Read more: Best Pillow Top Mattresses Recommended