A comfortable night’s sleep is truly priceless, as your entire day is affected by how well rested you are. While standard mattresses are effective at providing good support for proper rest, many consumers are opting for memory foam mattresses to increase overall comfort.
Memory foam is extremely popular in mattresses today, it is a thick, ultra-supportive material that conforms to different body types during rest and regains its shape after you rise. It cradles the body in every position, allowing for soft comfort on the hips, shoulders, and back, which greatly reduces pressure points and promotes healthy, uninterrupted rest.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Recommended
Choosing the best memory foam mattress can be difficult to say the least. There are hundreds of brands and many different types to confuse you all the more. Also, since the price of one can vary from a small amount to large, it’s important you make the right choice when investing your hard earned cash.
Here is a list of the top 10 foam memory mattresses that I have selected from thousands of products available on the market, you can have a look and choose a suitable mattress for yourself.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Deals 2021
This revolutionary collection of memory foam mattresses respond to your unique movements for outstanding comfort, support and pressure relief. Memory foam adapts to your unique shape and movements for a truly tailor-made sleep experience. Choose from luxurious range of memory foam mattresses from leading brands with Free Delivery and up to 70% off.
- Romantica Bamboo Memory Foam Mattress (Up to 15% off at MattressOnline)
- Impressions 6000 Cool Blue Memory and Reflex Foam Orthopaedic Mattress (from £169.99 at Happy Beds)
- Zen Deluxe Coolmax Memory Foam Mattress (from £149.99 at Memory Foam Warehouse)
- Sleepkings 10 inch Memory Foam & Reflex Orthopaedic Mattresses (from £1xx at Amazon)
- Total Relief Memory Foam Mattress (from £99 at Groupon)
- Pure Relief Memory Foam Mattress (Up to 75% Off at Groupon)
- Cloud 3000 Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Mattress (From £79 at Wowcher)
- Eve Light Memory Foam Mattress (from £229 at Dunelm)
- Night Therapy 7inch Memory Foam Mattress with Viscolatex Layer (at Amazon)
- Dormeo S Plus Memory Foam Double Mattress (from £384.99 at Ideal World)
Memory Foam Mattress Reviews
1. Bamboo Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (Up to 15% off at Mattress Online) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- A plush layer of memory foam for comfort and pressure relief
- Beautifully designed, high quality knitted bamboo cover
- Standard sprung support
- Reinforced mattress edge for enhanced support and stability
- Traditionally double-sided
- Complete with turning handles for easy manoeuvrability
- Made in the UK
With its natural absorption and moisture-wicking properties, bamboo is an exceptional mattress cover. Working to keep you fresher and cooler throughout the night, this high quality, softly knitted cover material looks as good as it feels!
As a double sided mattress, the Bamboo is the best of both worlds. Complete with turning handles, choose between the pampering comfort of memory foam, or simply flip the mattress to enjoy the classic sprung support – it’s up to you!
2. Cool Blue Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (from £169.99 at Happy Beds) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- A delightful combination of 120mm of reflex foam and 50mm of memory foam
- Rated at a medium firmness level, making it excellent for both comfort and orthopaedic support
- High quality Double Jersey quilted padding on the highly convenient removable cover
- To maintain its fine quality, the mattress only needs to be rotated every six week
- Arrives vacuum packed for easy shipping and movement
- Made to National Bed Federation standards, ensuring peerless British quality
A modest choice for those seeking a good compromise between good back support and great levels of comfort, the Impressions 6000 Cool Blue provides the ideal balance for a good night’s sleep. Complete with an excellent ratio of reflex to memory foam, the Impressions 6000 Cool Blue truly is a top choice.
3. Zen Deluxe Coolmax Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (from £149.99 at Memory Foam Warehouse) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
The Zen Deluxe Memory Foam Mattress with Coolmax cover features a deep layer of temperature sensitive memory foam. The memory foam layer offers fantastic pressure relief, and is supported by a highly resilient reflex foam base which offers additional support to the whole body. The breathable Coolmax cover offers you a cool and dry sleep environment, for an undisturbed night’s sleep. With free delivery 1-3 working days.
4. Sleepkings 10 inch Reflex Orthopaedic & Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (from £1xx at Amazon) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- Buy this luxury 10 inch memory foam orthopaedic mattress from Sleepkings now.
- This mattress will provide you with a softer feel but offers you comfort and support throughout the night.
- Includes a removable and washable cover which is ideal if you are an allergy sufferer.
- All of our memory foam mattresses comply with UK Fire Safety Regulations.
5. Total Relief Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (from £99 at Groupon) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- Soft-touch, cool-flex quilted cover
- Removable hypoallergenic cover (can be dry cleaned)
- Dust- and mite-resistant (ideal for allergy and asthma sufferers)
- Combines high-density reflex foam and high-density memory foam
- Designed to offer multi-zone support
- Single: 90cm (W) x 190cm (L) x 20cm (D)
- Small double: 120cm (W) x 190cm (L) x 20cm (D)
- Double: 135cm (W) x 190cm (L) x 20cm (D)
- King: 150cm (W) x 200cm (L) x 20cm (D)
Combining reflex foam and high-density memory foam, this mattress is designed to offer multi-zone support for a good night’s sleep
6. Pure Relief Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (Up to 75% Off at Groupon) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- Made from the finest quality foams
- Features a high quality, soft touch, cool flex quilted cover
- Removable hypoallergenic quilted cove that can be dry cleaned
- Allergy-friendly, dust mite resistant
- Total depth of 20cm
Combining reflex foam and high density memory foam, this mattress is designed to offer multi-zone support for an uniterrupted sleep
7. Cloud Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (From £79 at Wowcher) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- Get a 3000 pocket sprung mattress!
- 25cm depth with memory foam.
- 1000 responsive pocket springs which move independently to actively contour to the shape of your body.
- Medium firmness – perfect for those who like to sleep on their side.
- Hypoallergenic with an anti-allergy treated cover.
Enjoy a dreamy night’s sleep with a new cloud memory foam 3000 pocket sprung mattress. With medium firmness, ideal for those who like to sleep on their side, the mattress boasts 25cm of hypoallergenic fillings with a memory foam top. It has 1000 responsive pocket springs nested into the fabric pockets which move independently to actively contour to the shape of your …
8. Eve Light Memory Foam Mattress
➤ Buy Now (from £229 at Dunelm) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
The Eve light mattress has medium-firm support and a lightly cushioned feel for a great nights sleep. Featuring a comfortable memory foam feel this mattress is sure to give a perfect sleep experience. This mattress comes with a 10-year warranty.
You have 100 nights to decide if your Eve mattress is right for you. There’s no need to keep it under plastic – just sleep as you normally would. There’s no need to hold on to the packaging for the length of your trial either. And don’t worry, if the mattress is accidentally damaged in the course of day-to-day life, Eve will still take it back.
9. Night Therapy 7 inch Memory Foam Mattress with Viscolatex Layer
➤ Buy Now (at Amazon) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
When it comes to purchasing a mattress the most important thing to consider is comfort. We started off with a 1inch layer of highdensity foam for the base and a 2inch layer of premium memory foam for the top. The key was adding a 4inch layer of viscolatex in between. Viscolatex offers conforming support with memory foam comfort. Try it today and see for yourself! Simple solutions from Night Therapy. Memory foam mattresses are often associated with having a distinct odor. All Night Therapy foam mattresses are infused with EvergreenTM and ActivCharcolTM. EvergreenTM is a green tea extract that naturally neutralizes odors from day one, while ActivChocoalTM is made from purified charcoal that absorbs moisture thereby minimizing odorcausing agents. Sleep Master embraces the idea of “Sleep Green” so that the comfort of your sleep environment is balanced with ingredients that are safer for you and the environment. We use BioFoamTM in all our mattresses, which is made with natural seed
10. Dormeo S Plus Memory Foam Mattress Ideal World
➤ Buy Now (from £384.99 at Ideal World) | ➤ Read Customer Reviews
- Extended warranty upon registration
- Fira safety certified
- 100% customisable easy to reverse or flip core provides a variety of comfort combinations
- Customised comfort choose between a softer or firmer feel
- Breathable – air ventilated design provided by the octaspring technology
- 20cm mattress depth
- Quick drying Climalite cover designed to wick away moisture
- Treated with Clean Effect designed for anti-bacterial, anti-dust mite and anti-static protection
- Targets 3 Body Zones providing the right level of support for your entire body with a deep, luxurious Memory Foam layer sewn directly into the cover
This mattress is a customisable sleep solution, whether you want a softer or firmer feel, you can change it to whatever suits you. Also choose between more bounce and adaptability or more support under neck and shoulders. Incorporating Octaspring technology revolutionary memory foam spring technology. Reversible core to customise your sleep experience to suit you designed for a cool, fresh and incredibly supportive and comfortable night’s sleep.
With a unique configurable S-shaped Ecocell Core allowing you to customise your sleep experience, it has been designed to be a personalised mattress, so no matter your preferences or how you sleep, this mattress can provide both all type of sleepers a great night’s sleep
Memory Foam Mattress Buyer's Guide
1. What Is a Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory foam (also known as Visco Elastic) was first created in the 1970s by NASA. However, it wasn’t until the 1990s that memory foam mattresses began to grow in popularity.
Memory foam mattresses were a polar opposite to the springy bounce of a classic innerspring. They responds to body heat by softening and matching the shape of your body, allowing superb orthopaedic support and incredible comfort.
This article will aim to explain the benefits of memory foam, the different types of memory foam, as well as highlight the best memory foam mattresses on the market and who they are best for.
The most common sizes or names are In the UK are referred to as different names like Double Sized, Single, King Size and Super King. Aside from the various mattress sizes, the most common feature you’ll see advertised when buying memory foam mattresses are their thickness. Each can range anything between 8 inches all the way up to 16 inches thick, and sometimes possibly more.
Thickness is an important factor for some people for multiple reasons, for example, depending on your type of bed, you may want something relatively thin and flexible (for an adjustable bed perhaps), or something tall and thick (to raise the height of a low bed).
Generally the thicker ones are more expensive as they offer more than the conventional 3 layers. For example there may be an extra ventilation layer, or an extra comfort layer. There are generally 3 platforms which make up the design. Each one is generally different in thickness and serves its own purpose.
One thing to note though is that just because its thicker overall doesn’t always mean its better quality. Be sure to check the thickness of each layer, and to check what combination, materials and foam type have been included in its design.
3. Different types of memory foam mattress
The three types of foams used are traditional (viscoelastic), gel and plant-based memory foam. They each are different as a result of the materials used in their construction. Let’s take a look at the three types and see how they compare.
#1. Foam Type: Viscoelastic
Since 1992, the visco elastic memory foam mattress has probably become the most established and the most popular. You may see this type referred to as Standard, Traditional Polyurethane, or Petroleum Based. As the name suggests this type uses petroleum-based polyurethane foam and was invented by NASA, and was originally commercially released for bedding purposes.
Sometimes you may see the Traditional also referred to as Tempur-Pedic but it’s important to remember that this is a brand, not the technology.
#2. Foam Type: Gel-Infused
The gel memory foam mattress is the latest addition of the three types. Essentially this is the traditional viscoelastic foam version but infused with millions of gel beads. The idea behind this technology is the gel will not trap heat like its predecessor; trapped heat can lead to poor response times when someone moves around and can also increase the body temperature.
#3. Foam Type: Plant-based / Natural
Also known as an eco or natural memory foam mattress, this is quickly becoming one of the most popular and best rated mattress choices amongst consumers. The plant-based solution replaces a portion of the gel or petroleum-based substances for plant extract as its filling. Such extracts could be soya, aloe vera, tea or bamboo; each manufacturer may use different plants but will generally make it clear in their specifications what they are using.
4. Density / Firmness Level
When we say molding, we mean how the mattress firmness reacts to weight and pressure, adjusting to the contours of the body, thus producing an even, comfy, firm or soft platform.
The lower density type means you will experience a deeper, more plush and cozy sinking sensation; whereas the increased density type means that although the sinking sensation will still occur to an extent, it will feel more firm and padded. One isn’t better than the other, its down to personal preference.
You will commonly see density measured in pounds (lbs). A foam density of 2 – 5lbs is most common, and anything over 5lbs is considered high quality. Just remember that a lower density figure means soft and plush. A higher density figure means it will be firm and supportive, which is usually considered the best mattress for back pain.
My Amazon Picks
How to Choose a Memory Foam Mattress
If you’re considering purchasing a memory foam mattress, there are a variety of factors to consider that include size, density, and memory foam type. Here are simple tips to assist you in buying your new memory foam mattress.
1. What is you bed frame size
Although memory foam mattresses are considered specialty mattresses, they actually come in all standard sizes, which allows for easy pairing with your current bed frame. Whether you’ve got a space-saving single bed or a luxurious California King, you’re sure to find the perfect sized mattress to suit your needs.
Memory foam mattresses can also be paired with adjustable pivot foundations that adjust the mattress to your specific comfort needs, allowing for an amazing night’s rest.
2. How to choose type of foam mattress
While a common belief is that memory foam is one type of foam, there are actually multiple types of memory foam to choose from: Viscoelastic (Traditional foam), Gel-Infused and Plant-based / Natural foam.
Traditional foam supports the body by creating a soft cradle, which also minimizes pressure points and helps to increase circulation.
Gel memory foam is a great option for individuals who suffer from chronic pain, sore muscles, and overall body stress. The cool-air technology filters out heat as the body warms up throughout the night, allowing you to stay comfortable as you sleep.
Plant-based / Natural foam is a great option for individuals who have sensitive skin and allergies.
3. How to choose the right mattress topper
While memory foam mattresses provide an amazing level of comfort when used alone, a topper adds extra cushioning that truly gives the “sleeping on a cloud” sensation.
For additional firmness, latex mattress toppers are an ideal option. While you still get to experience the maximum comfort of your memory foam mattress, latex toppers are available in soft, medium or extra firm, allowing for additional balance and support.
4. How to choose thickness of memory foam mattress
Memory foam thickness options range from as thin as 6 inches to 14 inches thick. In general, thicker mattresses are softer than super-thin mattresses, however, choosing a thinner style won’t take away the natural comfort of a memory foam mattress. The base foam is the main support structure, and each level after that adds extra softness. It’s also important to keep in mind that adding a topper will help increase the overall thickness of your mattress.
5. What’s the difference in memory foam density
Memory foam mattresses offer high-density, medium-density, and low-density options. High- density foam is considered the most durable, while medium-density allows for optimal motion isolation, making it a great option for those who sleep two in a bed.
When comparing density levels, a good rule of thumb to go by is the weight. For example, medium-density foam is typically 4 to 5 pounds per cubic foot, while high-density foam can weigh as much as 10 pounds per cubic foot.
6. Do you need a hypoallergenic mattress
If you suffer from allergies, it’s always a good idea to pair your memory foam mattress with a hypoallergenic mattress topper and use hypoallergenic pillowcases and bedding to ensure comfort and reduced symptoms.
This also is a reason to consider an eco-friendly mattress. If you’re looking to find one, make sure to do your research. And not all companies who claim to have an eco-friendly mattress actually do.
7. What is body weight
How much you weigh is an important factor in choosing a mattress. We have already discussed that an 8 inch memory foam mattress or less isn’t really adequate for the average body. Similarly on the opposite end, the more you weigh, the thicker you’ll want the mattress to be.
10 inches is adequate for most people up to 250lbs, but if you tend to be a bit on the heavier side or want the extra thickness then you may prefer a 12 inch. And if you are particularly large and heavy, a 14 inch would be better. However, do also consider that the thicker the mattress is, the higher it’ll be to climb into bed.
So let’s now answer the question, “What is the difference between an 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch, or 14 inch memory foam mattress?”
8. What is your sleep position
Believe it or not, there are actually memory foam mattresses that are considered better for side sleepers than others. This has to do with the way the foam conforms to the body and the overall thickness of the material. Any mattress with a thickness between 8 and 14 inches is believed to be ideal for side sleepers, as the support foam is thicker, which allows for optimal cushioning of the pressure points of the knees, hips and shoulders when lying on your side.
To increase the comfort of your side-sleeping even more, consider purchasing a full-length memory foam body pillow.
Read more: Top 10 Pocket Sprung Mattress »